What Is Good For the Kidney Function?
The kidneys are two bean shaped organs in our lower abdomen. They pass liquid body waste through urine also filters blood to keep it clean.
Key functions of kidney, includes:
- Maintaining overall body fluid balance
- Circulating and filtering waste from blood
- Filtering waste from food and toxic substances from our body
- It help produce red blood cells
- Release hormone that regulates blood pressure
- Initiate Vitamin D to maintain healthy bones
- Keeping balance of minerals in blood
Each kidney contains about 1 million of nephrons, which are responsible for the whole kidney function. They take blood vessels, filter and help pass waste through urine and send back blood to heart.
The Main Risk Factors of kidney diseases are:
- High Blood Pressure
- Genetic/ Family history of kidney disease
- Cardiovascular disease
Here are few additional risk factors:
- Age 60 years or older
- Low birth weight
- Taking painkillers or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for long time
- Lumps or autoimmune disorders
- Chronic urinary tract infection
- Kidney stones
Kidneys perform various important works for our body to be stable and healthy, but due to the toxins and wastes they encounter, the kidney may get infected to various problems.
Some of them are:
- Chronic kidney disease
- Kidney failure
- Kidney stone
- Urinary tract infections
- Kidney cysts
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Polycystic kidney disease
As the kidney is in direct contact with toxins and wastes so it gets affected, here is how we can understand whether the kidney has problem.
Some common symptoms or warning signs are:
- Blood in urine
- Foamy urine
- Swelling in ankle and foot
- Dry or itchy skin
- Muscle cramps
- Puffiness around the eyes
- Increased or decreased urine
- Inability to concentrate
- Low appetite
- Trouble sleeping
These are few common symptoms which suspects person to have a kidney problem. In case you notice any of the symptoms, contact a nephrologist or urologist. Depending on your situation, doctor may do kidney function test to make a diagnosis.
The kidneys are important organ that affect many body parts directly including heart so keeping them healthy is one of the important work to do.