What We Treat
The Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery features a highly experienced team of Surgical Gastroenterologist having vast experience in liver, pancreas, biliary and advanced laparoscopy surgeries. Surgeries for Gastrointestinal cancers, bariatric and advanced laparoscopy are done routinely with best patient care and results matching the best centers of world. Emergency cases are handled round the clock through Casualty. The teams of best gastro surgeon in lucknow performing surgeries regularly.
This department has a comprehensive surgical program which is led by highly experienced surgeon and focusing on the following
- Oncological (cancer) Surgery of the GI Tract
- Liver surgery
- Pancreatico-Biliary Surgery
- Gastric and Oesophageal Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgical Procedures
- Bariatric surgery
- Specialised Colorectal Surgery including Sphincter Saving
- Stapled and Pouch Procedures
- Retroperitoneal Tumour Excisions
- Intra-Abdominal Trauma
Services & Facilities
Hepato Pancreato Biliary Services
- Liver surgery - Major liver resections are undertaken routinely for primary cancers of the liver and the biliary tree.
- Pancreas – We have a high volume unit for pancreatic surgery with results being comparable with the best centres in the world. Centre is specialized for surgical management of chronic pancreatitis with excellent results.
- Disorders of the biliary system - Surgical management of complicated benign biliary disorders is done by biliary reconstructive procedures. Laparoscopic gall bladder surgery with intraoperative cholangiogram and ERCP in conjunction with medical gastroenterology helps in management of gall bladder and CBD stone simultaneously.
- Bile duct and Gall bladder cancer - Palliative and curative resections for biliary cancer and palliative drainage procedures are performed. Combined liver and bile duct resection for advanced bile duct cancers are being performed regularly with excellent results. Patients who have inoperable diseases are offered various palliative measures like stenting or bypass procedures.
The unit operates with two fully equipped laparoscopic suites, which are also equipped with advanced equipment like Harmonic Scalpel, Argon laser, endoscopic stapling devices and endoscopic suturing devices.
The unit is routinely conducting:
- Lap cholecystectomy
- Lap appendicectomy
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
- Laparoscopic choledochal cyst excision
- Diagnostic laparoscopy
- Lap assisted colorectal resections for cancer
- Laparoscopic oesophageal surgery for carcinoma oesophagus
- Lap liver surgeries for cystic diseases of the liver
- Lap directed small bowel surgeries
- Lap myotomy for Achalasia Cardia
- Lap splenectomy
- Lap cysto-gastrostomy
The department is high volume centre for obsesity surgery. Laparoscopic Sleeve gastrectomy and Minigastric bypass is performed routinely with excellent results. A dedicated team of dietician, physiotherapist, pain management, surgeon and endocrinologist take care of patients.
Gastro Intestinal Oncology
The department works in close association with the Department of Oncology. Management of cancers is handled on the basis of protocols already in place. This close association between the departments allows the patients to get integrated care for their diseases. Unlike most other centres, all phases of the treatment can be completed under one roof. Adjuvant treatment for colorectal cancers, cancers of the stomach and pancreas, cholangiocarcinoma, etc. are taken up after detailed discussions between the surgeon and the oncologist. This interaction helps in the optimisation of the treatment for each patient.
Gastric and Oesophageal Surgery
All major gastric and oesophageal surgeries are undertaken. Minimally invasive gastric and oesophageal surgeries are offered to patients where appropriate. The following conditions are treated on a regular basis:
- Gastric Cancer - Palliative and curative resections for gastric and gastro-esophageal junction cancers are performed frequently, along with gastrectomy with extended lymph node dissections.
- Achalasia Cardia - Laparoscopic myotomy is performed with excellent long term results
- Esophageal Cancer - Transthoracic and transhiatal oesophagectomies are also performed regularly. Laparoscopic oesophageal resection offers excellent results with minimal morbidity in early stage of disease.
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease – In patients with failure of medical management antireflux surgery is offered after discussion with medical gastroenterologist.
Small Intestine and Colorectal Surgery
The GI Surgery department provides integrated oncology care. The treatment of patients with rectal cancer is planned in consultation with an oncologist to include pre-operative radiotherapy. This approach significantly reduces the risk of recurrence of the cancer. The department carries out a variety of procedures and treats conditions including:
- Colorectal Cancers - Low anterior resections and stapled pouch anastomosis are carried out routinely. All attempts are made at sphincter preservation. Laparoscopic colorectal resections are being taken up on depending on patient preference and suitability.
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases - Inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease are handled in consultation with the Medical Gastroenterology department. Advanced procedures like Ileal Pouch Anal Canal Anastomosis (IPAA) are done regularly. Staged procedures for complicated IBD and management of fistulas utilize the services of the integrated stoma care services.
- Abdominal Tuberculosis - The advanced facilities available in the hospital permit non invasive or minimally invasive confirmation of this often obscure pathology.
- Rectal Prolapse - Rectal prolapse is being treated routinely by Laparoscopic Rectopexy, thus allowing early return to activity for the patients.
- Anal Sphincter Reconstruction and Augmentation - for patients with incontinence due to traumatic injuries to the sphincter.
- Proctology clinic - The evaluation and management of complex perianal fistulae is aided greatly by the excellent imaging modalities of conventional and MR fistulograms done in the Radiology department. Stapler hemorrhoidectomy is offered to patients at their choice, avoiding the painful and prolonged convalescence after piles surgery.
Why Choose Us
Apollomedics Department of Gastrointestinal surgery is one of the best in the region. We have the best gastro surgeon in lucknow who is having more than 20 years of experience. We have cutting edge technology and latest machines to perform even complex cases. The team of surgeons are highly practiced and performing the surgeries on a regular basis.