ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) is a machine which uses to pump and circulate blood through an artificial system. The system supports in bypass heart-lung functions from outside of the patient body. It helps support a patient waiting for a heart or lung transplant.
ECMO is used to people who are critically ill or having life threatening illness which eventually promoting heart and lung to stop working properly. For example: ECMO is required in case of shock after a massive heart attack or severe lung damage from infection.
People who required ECMO are cared in intensive care unit (ICU) and can be kept for hours to weeks. An ECMO machine only provides life support to patient but not to treat any disease or injury. The patient can be saved by ECMO but the remaining treatment of injury or disease has to be done by doctors.
ECMO is used to people who are critically ill and are unable to response whose:
- Lungs are less or not responding to provide the enough oxygen to the parts even after giving extra oxygen.
- Lungs are unable to carry out carbon dioxide even with the help of mechanical ventilator.
- Heart is unable to pump enough blood to the body
- ECMO supports people who have lung or heart failure and waiting for organ transplant.
Why is ECMO used?
ECMO can be used for both infants and adults who are suffering from severe lung infection or heart problems. The aim of using ECMO is to provide enough oxygen to patient while keeping the heart and lungs to rest or heal. The conditions require ECMO are:
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Birth defects of heart
- Meconium aspiration syndrome
- Severe pneumonia
- Severe air leak problem
- Severe high blood pressure
- Recovery after heart surgery
Why Choose Apollomedics?
Apollomedics Institute of Critical Care aims to provide aquick recovery to every patient even the most critical one with best of healthcare services and best possible ways. We have acquired an advanced ECMO machine for the patients with critical lung infections and heart diseases.
We have the best team of doctors and supporting staffs who understands the situations of patients and ready to take actions accordingly to save each and every life.
We know the value of every heart beat and life to everyone.