Covid-19 pandemic impacts the well-being of the individual much after the culmination of the acute phase as is evident from symptoms in more than 50% of Recovered Covid-19 patients.
A focused initiative to manage the after effects of Covid-19 is the need of the hour. While the world is still focused on prevention and management of acute Covid-19 infection, Apollo Hospitals, as the leader in healthcare, is launching a special initiative for management of post-covid-19 syndrome.
Covid Recover Clinic Helpline: +91-8429029848
Apollo ReCOVer clinic is a first of its kind Post Covid-19 ReCOVer centre for the survivors to minimize post Recovery impact to other organs and effectively manage the chronic situations. Apollo ReCOVer Clinics aims to provide holistic care for post-covid 19 patients. They have been established with the aim of preventing acute impacts of post-covid-19 syndrome and effectively manage the chronic situations.
It was believed during the initial phase of the Covid-19 pandemic that normalcy would return once an individual Recovered from the acute phase of illness. It was also thought to be a lung infection which once resolved would leave behind no further sequelae. However, it is now proven that it is a multi-organ syndrome and some manifestations of Covid-19 occur weeks and months after the treatment for acute phase is over. The most common symptoms being fatigue, breathlessness, joint pains and chest pain.
Covid-19 impacts almost all the vital organs in the body. Check image below:
Brain and Nervous system:
- Symptoms: Headache, dizziness, strokes, seizures.
- Treatability: Depends on the condition.
- Long-Term Effects: The virus may increase the risk of neurodegenerative disorders as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Although there is lack of supporting evidence
- Symptoms: Conjunctivitis and abnormalities such as blurred vision
- Treatability: Most known symptoms are temporary and can be treated.
- Long Term Effects: In some rare cases, where a patient experiences sever oxygen deprivation, the optic nerve or retina may be damaged.
- Symptoms: Cough, pneumonia, acute respiratory failure.
- Treatability: While mild conditions generally ease on Recovery, more serious lung damage require regular medical examination and care.
- Long Term Effects: Severe cases of post -COVID fibrosis, or scarring of the lungs, may require surgery or organ transplant. The cause of the fibrosis remains unknown, but condition can affect both young and old patients.
Nose and Mouth:
- Symptoms: Runny Nose, Loss of or changed sense of smell and taste
- Treatability: Most symptoms will improve when the patient Recovers
- Long Term Effects: Loss of senses of smell and taste occurs in tandem and it may take weeks and months to recover them.
- Symptoms: Liver disfunction and injury have been seen in severe cases.
- Treatability: Most patients experience mild symptoms, but in sever cases and in patients with chronic liver disease, the effect on the organ may be more damaging.
- Long Term Effects: There is lack of data about impact of the virus on the liver, although there have been reports of patients receiving liver transplants due to Covid-19. Some drugs used to treat the virus may also harm liver.
- Symptoms: Heart inflammation, heart disfunction, heart attack.
- Treatability: Covid 19 poses major threat to heart especially for patients with cardiovascular diseases.
- Long Term Effects: Heart damage in Covid-19 patients is still puzzling doctors as evidence shows the virus may cause heart injury even in patients who do not have cardio-vascular disease.
- Symptoms: Inflammation of Pancreas, disturbed metabolism,
- Treatability: Inflammation can range from mild to life-threatening but in most cases, condition can be treated through therapy.
- Long Term Effects: There is mounting evidence that Covid-19may cause or worsen diabetes in some patients.
- Symptoms: Diarrhoea, Vomiting, Abdominal Pain,
- Treatability: Most symptoms ease after Recovery,
- Long Term Effects: It is unclear how a respiratory virus can induce gastro-intestinal symptoms. The virus may worsen chronic conditions such as cancer of digestive system.
- Symptoms: Scrotal discomfort, Hormone abnormalities
- Treatability: Most conditions can be treated and resolved after Recovery.
- Long Term Effects: It is not known whether Covid-19 affects male fertility. Concerns have been raised that the Testes may harbour Corona Virus as it could persist in them longer than elsewhere in the body, posing a risk of infection.
- Symptoms: Acute kidney injury, impaired Renal Function, Kidney Failure.
- Treatability: Patients with acute kidney injury, impaired Renal Function can recover through treatment, although some may require Dialysis.
- Long Term Effects: Kidney damage may be caused in severe cases. The risk of developing chronic kidney disease also increases, even for patients with no pre-existing kidney conditions.
Post Covid Recovery - Symptoms and Complications:
Pain that Lingers:
A subset of Covid-19 patients experiences ongoing symptoms and complications such as organ damage, and researchers are proposing reasons for some of them (shown below). Scientists are trying to identify such symptoms basis their commonality and longevity, type of patient who are impacted and methods of their treatment and prevention.
- Brain Fog: Difficulty in thinking can occur after acute Covid-19 infection. This virus may damage brain cells and inflammation in the brain or body may cause neurological complications. Other viral infections may also lead to brain fog.
- Shortness of Breath: Doctors are eyeing lung and heart complications including scarring. Patients who become critically ill with Covid-19 seem more likely to have shortness of breath but those with mid cases are also at risk.
- Heart Arrhythmia: The virus can harm the heart, and doctors are concerned about long term damage. How the heart heals after Covid-19 could help determine whether patient develops an irregular heartbeat
- Hypertension: Some patients may have high blood pressure after an acute infection, even when cases were relatively mild and people were previously healthy possibly because the virus targets blood vessels and heart cells.
In Apollo ReCOVer Clinics, patients will get the following services:
- Super Specialist panel of doctors for complete diagnosis of the patients
- Health check-ups and consultation by qualified physicians.
- Customised Diet Charts by Qualified dieticians
- Consultation with Top psychiatrists for prevention against post Covid-19 depression and anxiety
- Respiratory exercises and training under qualified physiotherapists
- All necessary check-ups and consultations with corresponding specialists
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
- Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
- Dedicated ICU – CICU, Neuro ICU, Trauma ICU, NICU, PICU
- Most Advanced Bi-Plane Cathlab
- 1.5 Tesla MRI
- 128 Slice CT Scan
- 24X7 Dialysis